Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Same Kind of Different As Me



I enjoy reading true stories. Every so often I come across one that has a tremendous impact on how I view life or people. A couple of years ago I came across the book "Same Kind of Different as Me". I have since given away more than two dozen copies. Something I've never done with any other book which I've read. I've recommended it to hundreds of people. The response is always the same, "This is one of the greatest stories I've ever read".

The book is written by two men, Ron Hall and Denver Moore with Lynn Vincent. It's the story of Ron, Denver and Ron's wife Deborah. It's a love story. The love that a woman had for a man she met in a homeless shelter in Fort Worth, Texas. It wasn't the physical attraction love, but the love that one person has for someone who is living without love in their life. A love that has deep concern for the well being of another human being. It was a love that changed a man's life forever. It's the story of a man who struggled with accepting this love. It's the story of a man who was taught by his wife to reach out.

Although the story centers around a modern day slave, a homeless man, it's not a story to tell us how to treat the homeless. It's a story that teaches us how to treat our fellow man. I'm reminded of Jesus and how he loved people of all walks of life. Mostly I think of Jesus in Matthew 8 when a man with Leprosy came and knelt down before Jesus and asked to be healed. Matthew tells us that Jesus reached out and touched him. He actually touched a man with leprosy, a man who had to announce himself before coming near a crowd, a man from whom everyone kept their distance. But Jesus, he touched him.

To love as Christ loved and reach those in need we must learn to stretch out our hand and touch them. Only then can they experience the healing power of Jesus' love.

"Same Kind of Different as Me" is a must read for anyone who wants to know what it can mean to be Jesus. In fact it's a must read for anyone who wants to know how to treat people. It's a fascinating story that will change your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment