Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Clean Dirt


I was traveling down one of the commercial streets here in Abilene one day and saw the sign, "Clean Dirt". That struck me odd since I was always told that dirt was "dirty". I was told to wash the dirt off my hands before I ate. I washed the dirt out of my hair and my mom cleaned my "dirty" clothes.

There was a time that I had my "dirty" mouth cleaned out with Lifebuoy soap. I listened to guys tell "dirty" jokes and even saw them pass around "dirty" books. I had to take off my "dirty" shoes before coming into the house and couldn't sit on the couch until I had taken a bath to clean my "dirty" body.

But one thing I never did was try to clean dirt. When we try to clean it it just becomes mud and then when it's dry it is harder than it was before. After it's hardened it's even more difficult to get rid of. In reality it's impossible to "clean dirt". Dirt is always dirty no matter how much you wash it.

That's the way it is with sin in our lives. If we allow our lives to be mired in sin it will keep us from being clean. As long as we live in sin we're going to be dirty. We can hide it from everyone else, but it's still there. We can disguise it, but it's still there. We can ignore it, but it's still there. The more we hide it or the more we disguise it or the more we ignore it trying to make it look okay the harder it becomes and more difficult to remove.

The only way to get rid of the dirt is to wash it away completely, for in reality there is no such thing as clean dirt just as there is no such thing as good sin. They are both an oxymoron.

The Word as recorded in Isaiah "Wash and make yourself clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. "Come now, let us reason together,' says the Lord. 'Though your sin are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are as red as crimson, they shall be like wool.'" Isaiah 1:16-18.

"Clean Dirt" simply means no trash or impurities. So it should be with our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment