Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Up and Over


Growing up I played a lot of sandlot baseball. In the summer every week we'd get a group together and head to the field behind the old high school building. Sometimes we'd have a dozen or so and other times we'd have only seven or eight.

It was when we had so few that we'd play scrub baseball with three batters and the rest would play the field. It took a lot more running and better play to move around, so the bigger boys were at bats a lot more than those of us who were smaller.

I was short and weighed about 60 pounds in those days. The first time I came to play with the big guys I wasn't expected to do much. During this first game it was my turn to bat. I remember it well. The fielders felt so threatened by me that the infield moved in right behind the picture and the outfield moved in to the edge of the infield sand area. You can imagine how embarrassing it was to see this. Everyone was so close I could have thrown my bat and hit any of them easily.

I was always a first pitch hitter, so when the pitcher threw the first pitch I swung hard. More action took place in the next few seconds than the entire time we had been playing. You see, not only did I hit the ball over everyone's head, it sailed out to where they would have been for any other batter. From there is was a mad dash around the bases for me as the outfielders were racing as hard as they could to get the ball as it rolled toward the street behind left field.

A scrawny 60 pound little kid had embarrassed them all. I can still remember it clearly. The next time it was my turn to bat no one moved in closer. The outfielders held their place ready to catch a fly ball that came their way.

Paul wrote to the Philippians, "I can do everything through Him, who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:13) Failure comes when we convince ourselves that we cannot succeed. If we believe in ourselves even when others don't we can do great things. Take notice that Paul did not say he could do anything, but that he could do everything. There is nothing that I can't accomplish with God on my side.

I was never a power hitter, but good enough with enough confidence that no one every moved up on me again.



Image courtesy of http://www.iloveclipart.com


No comments:

Post a Comment